A diet is not something you ‘go on’, a temporary selection of food and drink. Your diet is what you consume every day of every week, every month, all year long. Look at your body. Look at the condition of your skin and your hair. Do you eat canned, boxed, fried or fast food every day – drink sodas every day – pop diet pills? Do you eat when you are NOT hungry? Do you eat for pleasure or comfort, or to escape pain? Are your parents obese? Do you get little to no exercise? Do you eat late at night on a regular basis? If you answered yes on most questions then this handout is directed to you.
The advice that follows is not only COMMON SENSE but also based on medical and nutritional FACT. Read it if you are a) In pain b) You’ve had enough c) You refuse to lie to yourself anymore d) You are sick e) You seriously want help. If you follow what is written below, you will look better, feel better and PERMANENTLY lose weight. Your skin and eyes will glow. Your hair will be soft and grow faster. Your energy will rise dramatically.
- Eat for nutrition, strength and energy, NOT for comfort and to dull emotional pain such as depression, anger, sadness, stress and loneliness.
- The best meal is breakfast- try not to skip it, the big meal should be in the middle of the day and never LATE AT NIGHT.
- Sit down to eat, take your time and really TASTE and chew your food. Stop eating in the car or ‘on the run’. Give at least 30-45 minutes for each main meal and 15 minutes for snacks.
- Consume “SUPER FOODS” often unless you are advised otherwise for special health concerns: Whole grain products, Brown rice, Wheat germ, Oats, Bran cereals, Apples, Cherries, Peaches, Strawberries, Pears , Bananas, Purple grapes , Prunes, Prune juice, Plums, Raspberries, Blueberries, Pomegranate, Broccoli, Carrots, Corn, Green beans, Potato, Turnip, Cauliflower, Sprouts, Spinach, Tomatoes, Cucumbers, Mackerel, Sardines, Wild salmon, Oysters, Yogurt with acidophilus, Kefir (a fermented, probiotic milk drink), Tofu, Soya products, Beans and legumes, Aloe vera juice, Garlic, Wheatgrass, Nuts, Avocados, Extra virgin olive oil, Flax seed, Primrose Oil, Bee pollen, and spirulina.
- Try to get your requirement from OMEGA-3 FATTY Acids. It Reduces inflammation throughout the body, keeps the blood from clotting excessively, Lowers the amount of blood lipids, aids in the prevention of excessive blood clotting, Inhibits thickening of the arteries, and helps to prevent cancer cell growth. OMEGA-3 FATTY Acids are available in Salmon, flax seeds, walnuts and pumpkin seeds.
- Drink water. Water flushes out residual toxins, including fat. Add mint leaves or lemon juice for flavor. How much water you need? The answer is: half your body weight in ounces, that is your ideal personal daily water intake.
- Green tea is excellent. Rich in flavonoids and antioxidants which are crucial for blood vessels integrity.
- Consuming too much of artificial, preserved, canned and processed foods will increase the burden on your body organs, especially your liver and kidneys, and will disturb your normal metabolism causing less efficient intake of nutrients, and more storage of hazardous food constituents. Try to eat as mush raw, whole, organic, and natural foods as possible.
- IF IT’S WHITE IT’S BAD FOR YOU! I.e. Bread, sugar, fat, butter, ice cream, mayonnaise, salt- you can use sea salt, in moderation. For a sweet taste use honey, maple or rice syrup, or STEVIA.
- Replace animal (saturated) fat such as; whole fat dairy products, fatty animal flesh, butter, ghee, and cream with plant (unsaturated) fat such as vegetable and plant oils, seeds and nuts. Be aware that palm and coconut oils are saturated and fish oils are unsaturated.
- Avoid SODA drinks. A steady diet of Coke promotes tooth decay, weight gain, serious kidney problems, blood pressure elevation and decalcification of bone tissue, accelerating osteoporosis.
- Avoid anything labeled “DIET…” There are more cancer causing chemicals and poisons in diet products than the regular product.
Reviewed by Kathleen M. Zelman, MPH, RD, LD on February 10, 2016